The house is 2 1⁄2 stories high, and features a gable roof rising up to impressive ogee curves trimmed out with a beaded cornice, above circular attic windows. The windows are topped by granite lintels, and tall wooden pillars hold the full-height front portico, reminiscent of Mount Vernon. The portico is topped by a dormer which repeats the curve of the roof and beaded cornice. When it was originally built, the dormer had a balustrade around it, but that balustrade was lost when a tree came down upon it in the 1938 hurricane. A smaller, similar portico is located at the side entrance as well. The stone walls are constructed with an air chamber, filled with rubble, thus making it warmer in winter and cooler in the summer, and eliminating the dampness of a solid stone wall. The main entrance has a 6-paneled door, with double pilasters on each side, enclosed sidelights, and crowned by an elliptical fanlight. Upon entering the front door into the elegant foyer, visitors are greeted by a graceful “flying” staircase, with stairs set in a counter-clockwise direction around a Tuscan column. There are 10 rooms with a fireplace in each room, plus a third floor attic, and another attic space above that. Handsome blindfold shutters that fold into window reveals adorn each of the rooms.